• 1909 - A new roller coaster greeted park patrons. Originally called the New Velvet Coaster it would eventually be called the Aero Dips.
  • 1910 - A new carousel is installed, replacing the one installed in 1905, machine number 9 manufactured by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company (PTC). The new carousel was also manufactured by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company, machine number 19. Around the 1930's Euclid Beach Park added a second "R" to the rides name, CARROUEL.
  • 1912 - The Humphrey family uses another of their inventions, a concrete pumping and pouring machine to create entire buildings as well as the pier and base for a circular pool. In later years a water fountain was added to the circular pool.
  • 1913 - The Derby Racer roller coaster was built. The name was later changed to the Racing Coaster. Two trains raced side by side on parallel tracks. One train was painted red the other was painted green. After each race or ride they seemed to have switched tracks, a train starting on the west side of the loading station finished on the east side and vice versa. The ride was a single track with the trains traveling only half the track's length each time.
  • 1921 - A water gravity ride is added. Named the Mill Chute it was manufactured by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company.
  • 1921- The Great American Racing Derby was also added. It was a carousel like ride except that besides moving up and down, the four rows of horses also moved forward and backward as in a horse race. The ride was manufactured by Prior and Church.
  • 1921 - The automobile is no longer a novelty and more parking is needed. The main entrance Arch is constructed.
  • 1924 - The Thriller roller coaster opened, designed by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company.
  • 1978 - The Humphrey Company opens a new, smaller, amusement park in Streetsboro, Ohio named Shady Lake Park. Rides at this park consist of all the kiddeland rides that were located in the Colannade (see Note), the Flying Scooters, Turnpike, Antique Autos, Ferris Wheel, Tilt-A-Whirl, and Sleepy Hollow Railroad. Also relocated to the new park were many of the old Euclid Beach Park green, park benches, fencing, and some of the old signage. Adjacent to the amusement park a building was erected where The Humphrey Company continued to produce their famous popcorn, popcorn balls, and candy kisses. These items were available for purchase at Shady Lake Park and were now distributed to local grocery store chains for resale.
  • 1982 - The Humphrey Company, still family owned, decided to concentrate on its popcorn business so in 1982 Shady Lake Park closed. Just about everything that was at the park found its way to a small amusement park located near Thortown, Indiana, Old Indiana Fun Park which closed in 1969. An auction was held at the park and all the items from Euclid Beach Park were sold off. 

Radio personality Tom Manning broadcasting while riding the Flying Turns

The Log Cabin, Euclid Beach Park, Cleveland, Ohio

  • 1937- The Mill Chute under went alterations. The height of the drop was increased from 30 feet to 37 feet plus the inclination of the decent hill was changed from 20 degrees to 50 degrees. A new route for the channel was also dug. All this work done by Euclid Beach Park employees. With the changes came a new name, Over The Falls.
  • 1943 - During World War II Euclid Beach Park would occasionally open from 11:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. for local Clevelanders working long hours for the war effort.
  • 1957 - The Rotor took over the spot that was occupied by the Bubble Bounce. The rides opening was broadcast on a local Cleveland television station, KYW.
  • 1962 - Turnpike opened, self driven, small, gasoline powered cars.
  • 1964 - The Roller Rink was converted to the Antique Auto ride.
  • 1964 - Sometime after the park closed for the 1964 season the Aero Dips roller coaster was razed.
  • 1966 - After the 1966 season the Great American Racing Derby was removed. Sold to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, it operates there still, renamed Cedar Downs. Euclid Beach Park replaces the ride with a Ferris Wheel and Tilt-A-Whirl.
  • 1966 - Also removed and sold was the Dippy Whip replaced with the Coffee Break.
  • 1969 - September 28, the last day the park operated.
  • 1895 - Euclid Beach Park opens. The Euclid Beach park Company, owners of the park, had erected a fence surrounding the property, located eight miles east of Cleveland on the southern shore of Lake Erie. Admission was charged for patrons to enjoy a beer garden, games of chance, and a few mechanical amusement rides.
  • 1899 - The Humphrey Family opens a popcorn concession at Euclid Beach Park but decides to leave after one season due to the unsavory atmosphere, the beer garden, side shows, and gambling.
  • 1901 - Euclid Beach Park fails. Mr. D. S. Humphrey learns of this while on a business trip in Chicago after picking up a Cleveland newspaper. He immediately returns to Cleveland. After a family meeting he offers the bankers a proposition. He cannot afford to purchase the property outright but offers to rent it. His premise is that turning it into a family-oriented attraction will succeed. The bankers, having nothing to lose, agree to his offer. The fence around the property comes down, the park goes dry, and there is no admission. Before 1/3 of the 1901 season was completed, the park was so successful that the Humphrey family had purchased eighty (80%) percent of the company stock.

Welcome Back to Euclid Beach Park

Timeline

Note: The Colonnade was a large, 240' x 180' structure. It was erected in 1924 utilizing the Humphrey's own process of pouring cement. Besides kiddeland also under its roof were: a lunch stand, frozen custard stand, and picnic tables.

  • 1902 - The Humphrey family negotiated an agreement with the streetcar company to reduce passenger prices and charge a single fare. The new Euclid Beach Park advertising slogan became, "One Fare, Free Gate, No Beer.
  • 1904 - The "Log Cabin" is moved to the park. It was originally the Forestry Building built for the Pan American Exposition held in Buffalo, New York in 1901. At Euclid Beach Park it served as a company or community picnic headquarters and as a dance hall.
  • 1904 - The Roller Rink is built.
  • 1907 - The Humphrey Family open the Elysium, an indoor ice skating rink located at East 107th Street and Euclid Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio.

Euclid Beach Park Now

Euclid Beach Park Now (EBPN) honors and preserves the memory of arguably  Cleveland, Ohio's most beloved amusement park  EUCLID BEACH PARK, which operated from 1895 through 1969.

  • 1930 - The Flying Turns is built. Designed by John Miller and J. N. Bartlett. Three articulated coaster cars free wheeled in an open barrel similar to a bob-sled.
  • 1933 - Cleveland radio personality Tom Manning of radio station WTAM broadcasts an actual ride on the Flying Turns using an early battery powered transmitter.
  • 1933 - Dudley Sherman Humphrey II dies at his home on the grounds of Euclid Beach Park at the age of 81. Leadership of the amusement park was passed to Dudley's son Harvey.
  • 1935 - The Funscience Hall opened, a walk through fun house that would see its name changed to the Surprise House. The public could see through the center of the building's façade and watch patrons attempting to walk over an arched moving walkway. At both sides of the façade, behind glass were a laughing man and a laughing woman swaying to and fro encouraging people to enter the Surprise House. A fire in the Surprise House damaged the man who was removed and never replaced. The laughing woman survived and along with the main entrance Arch she remains a park icon. Laughing Sal occasionally makes appearances in the Greater Cleveland area.